Alternative Hardware Design for Floppy Interface

Jules Richardson julesrichardsonuk at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Oct 19 16:42:26 CDT 2007

Grant Stockly wrote:
> What do you guys think?  The thing has a peripheral expansion header.
> We could hook a modern floppy chip to that, connectors for different
> drives, and off we go...

What's the cost like? Is the board made up of separate components (CPU, ROM,
RAM, USB chip, buffers for I/O, Ethernet chip etc.)?

I'd find Ethernet more useful than USB, and in an ideal world I'd prefer a
board where the functional areas are segregated (rather than some complex and
expensive single chip, where if disaster strikes the thing basically needs
throwing out and replacing as a complete unit)

cheers

Jules