Alternative Hardware Design for Floppy Interface

Doc Shipley doc at mdrconsult.com
Sat Oct 20 12:32:11 CDT 2007

Chuck Guzis wrote:

> An old PC with some ISA slots (free, usually) and a few ISA prototype
> boards (about $20 or so the each) would seem to satisfy the basic
> need pretty handily, wouldn't it?  Easy to program, free tools, etc.
>
> Or am I missing something important here?

   "small"?  :)

   I recently picked up a 386-based ISA SBC and a 3-slot backplane to do
exactly this.  The whole thing, less actual floppy drives, should run on
the PSU from an external hard drive enclosure, and just about fit in a
standard 2-bay 3.5" drive enclosure.

   The big win, which is doubtful, will be if the SBC's FDC can do
single-density.  If that turns out true, I don't even need the backplane.

   Alas, that "free time" thing has been a problem lately, so I haven't
touched this in a month, or even tested the 386 yet.

	Doc