Tandy Logix-Kosmos (was: Re: Ferranti Logical Computor (1951) )

Mark Tapley mtapley at swri.edu
Sun Oct 21 14:14:01 CDT 2007

At 15:42 -0500 10/16/07, Brent wrote:
>Also reminds me of the Kosmos (from Germany) "computer"/(switching)-logic
>trainer from the late-60s/early-70s I received as a kid. I think Radio Shack
>marketed it over here for a while, later in the 70s.

	...and you have just reminded me of the name (see subject). I
had one too. <google> ... ah.
http://oldcomputermuseum.com/logix_kosmos.html

	Power supply, 10 bulbs across the top, 10 slides, each slide
opened or closed 5 sets of contacts (functioning as a 5PDT switch),
and a pushbutton. Each contact had 3 holes, as did the power supply
and the lights. By placing jumper wires, you enabled "gates" to
create the logic. You'd slide the slides to generate the input, then
press the pushbutton to provide current. The lights would illuminate
to generate the output. There were paper fold-ups to place inside the
light housing so that the output could be pictographic, and to slide
into a holder to label the slides.

	It's more or less the next step up from the "Digi-Comp" (3
bits -> 10 bits), except that it can't affect its own state. But you
could implement "feedback" manually, by sliding slides when the bulb
above them was illuminated.

	I quite clearly remember watching the Star Trek episode where
Spock determines that the Enterprise's computer has been tampered
with by beating it at chess, and thinking it'd take some pretty hot
wiring to get the Logix-Cosmos to play chess, so I'd better get
started. I never did figure out how to make the overlays work...

	Mine died of corrosion on the contacts, and was (regrettably)
trashed, I'm pretty sure.
--
						- Mark, 210-379-4635
Large Asteroids headed toward planets

				Think of it as Evolution in Fast-Forward.