5-1/4 diskette drive on current computers

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Tue Oct 23 11:59:13 CDT 2007

On 23 Oct 2007 at 11:00, Christian Corti wrote:

> Yes, the signals are absent. But if you have a look at the datasheet for
> the super I/O chip (e.g. ITE IT8712) you'll see that the chip still can
> handle two drives. Just route the signals from the chip to the socket
> (e.g. with fine wire-wrap wire) and eventually program the chip to enable
> these signals (many pins have shared functions, the actual function is
> selected by programming the appropriate I/O configuration register).
> As a side note: many older boards that support two drives can handle four
> drives with the same procedure. They have /DS0, /DS1, /DS2 and /DS3 as
> well as the four /MOTORx lines. You only need a second socket and you
> should be able to use the two additional drives with the proper DRIVER.SYS
> statement.

If you're using DOS it might be that simple (if modifying a modern
motherboard can be called "simple"), but the BIOS configuration
software for many of these machine allows for only one drive, which
lets out support on OS-es such as Win2K and WinXP.

Given the poor state of expandability of many modern mobos, I don't
consider modification a worthwhile enterprise except as an
interesting exercise.

Anent the configuration situation and a related thread, there are
chipsets that also allow interfacing a floppy via the parallel port
with suitable configuration.  But again, your BIOS is going to be a
problem for this if you're using a "modern" Windoze OS.

Given that the floppy controller is about the only thing in a modern
machine that requires a PCI-to-ISA bridge, I expect that it's not far
from vanishing permanently from all new PCs.

Cheers,
Chuck