SGI workstation sequence

Joost van de Griek jvdg at sparcpark.net
Tue Oct 23 15:45:56 CDT 2007

On 2007-10-23 21:37, JP Hindin wrote:

> For a laugh, a few years ago I installed Linux on my R4600 133mHz Indy.
> The machine took 8 hours to compile a Linux kernel, 21 hours to compile X
> - and 34 hours to compile KDE. <chuckle>

Heh. My Mac SE/30 (16 MHz 68030) took two days (trying) to compile a NetBSD
1.5 kernel, before keeling over and dying with a failed hard drive. Not
surprising, really; the HD was flaky to begin with, and it had been
thoroughly thrashed during that compile session, making the poor SE/30 sound
like a coffee maker.

,xtG
.tsooJ
--
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups