kernel compile times

Sridhar Ayengar ploopster at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 20:59:51 CDT 2007

Richard wrote:
>> My compile on the VAXstation 2000 was at least a few days.  Maybe a week.
>
> Are we talking *just* the kernel here, or are we talking compiling a
> full distribution (all the utility programs, shell programs, X server,
> X clients, etc.).
>
> I have a really hard time believing it takes a few days *just* to
> compile the kernel.  Toss in the huge pile of additional programs
> accessible from the shell or the X Window System and now we're talking
> believable.

Nope.  It wasn't the full tree.  I wouldn't even try compiling the
entire tree on that machine.  Admittedly, the machine was under a small
amount of other load at the time, but it was just the kernel.  Part of
it was because it was swapping like crazy during the compile, and
swapping to the same disk where the sources were stored.  That machine
is S*L*O*W.  It would have probably gone a whole lot faster if it had
enough RAM.

Peace...  Sridhar