kernel compile times

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 21:19:15 CDT 2007

On 10/24/07, Sridhar Ayengar <ploopster at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> My compile on the VAXstation 2000 was at least a few days.  Maybe a week.
>
> ...it was swapping like crazy during the compile, and
> swapping to the same disk where the sources were stored.  That machine
> is S*L*O*W.  It would have probably gone a whole lot faster if it had
> enough RAM.

Oh, yeah.  The CPU is nominally as fast as a MicroVAX II (and over 50%
faster than an 11/750), but if you were swapping, that'd be a *huge*
difference in compile times.  I was doing this on an 8MB 11/750 with
nothing else going on (or on a 5MB 11/730 in a similar state), which
is, BTW, fully loaded, thus the difference.

I haven't had the pleasure to use a fully-loaded VS2000 - mine are
around 6MB - enough to boot and run, but not a lot of empty RAM
sitting around.

I think a VS2000 disk vastly underperforms compared to an RA81 on a
UDA50, so the swapping makes it much, much worse.

-ethan