ancestry oif Color Dot Matrix; Was Re: IBM junk

Paxton Hoag innfoclassics at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 14:08:28 CDT 2007

ancestry
> I think the IWII has the engine for another printer in it but I can't
> remember whose.  I keep dredging up Okidata and Canon, but I think those
> are wrong.  Citizen?

I think the Imagewriter 1 was just a rebadged C. Itoh 8510. One of the
C.Itoh models supported a 4 color ribbon. and this carried over to the
IW2.

The ancestry of the IBM Color printer goes back to the IDS 480 which
was such a nice printer that Dataproducts bought the company in the
very early 80s.

I believe its design became the basis for the long running
Dataproducts 8050/8070 series of dot matrix printers offering color
ribbons.

I think the IBM Color Printer was made by Dataproducts with different
plastic and branding.

Paxton Hoag
Astoria, OR
USA