Alternative Hardware Design for Floppy Interface

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Mon Oct 29 10:45:44 CDT 2007

On Oct 19, 2007, at 9:21 PM, Dan Roganti wrote:
>>> The base eZ80SBC from howard is $250.  Add $100 for the disk
>>> board...
>>
>> Hmmm, I suppose if a SASI interface and ST412 interface could be
>> added to talk to those kind of devices too, $250 wouldn't be too
>> bad for the 'core' portion. $350 for just a floppy interface is
>> perhaps a little on the high side, though.
>>
>> (Someone here was working on a generic ST412 interface -
>> presumably over-sampling tack data and processing in software -
>> weren't they? Can't remember who it was now...)
>
> There's already an inexpensive eZ80F91 development board from Zilog
> for the budget conscious -only $99. And it's complete with cables,
> jtag debugger, IDE, and C compiler. It has an ethernet port among
> other interfaces. It doesn't have USB, but easily done with a RS232-
> USB converter. The expansion interface provides all the GPIO's to
> let you connect a floppy interface.And it's available from Mouser
> or Digikey.
> http://www.zilog.com/products/partdetails.asp?id=eZ80F910200ZCO

   I have that board...it's what I used to evaluate the eZ80F91 for a
few projects a couple of years ago.  It's a good development system
overall, but their C compiler is Windows-only, so I was stuck with
running it under an emulator.  I hope they fix that soon.

             -Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Port Charlotte, FL