Atari ST connectors (was: Atari SIO bus connectors found)

Ensor classiccmp at memory-alpha.org.uk
Tue Oct 30 00:45:56 CDT 2007

Hi,

  >> That said, my first upgrade to that machine was a real
  >>keyboard! :-)
  >
  > My second 400 came with a real keyboard, much better!

There were several replacement keyboards available for the 400, mine was the
"in Home" unit which used low profile keyswitches and almost looked like the
machine had come with it as standard, IYKWIM?

Not as nice to type on as a "full travel" keyboard, but a very worthwhile
upgrade.

  > Now there's a thing. The ST/XE keyboard is a horrible rubber-based
  >mashy thing with awful feedback....

I had a very early ST which had a slightly different keyboard. If I remember
correctly, rather than using those rubber things, it had little springs
beneath the keycaps which pressed down directly on the keyboard membrane.

It was terrible compared with what I was used to, but better than the later
ST keyboards I've used.

  >....whereas both MegaST keyboards I have are proper spring-based
  >switch keyboards that I can easily touch type on and actually
  >enjoy using. Was there 2 different types of MegaST keyboard?

That's an interesting question.

I didn't get my MegaST until they released the 1Mb machine with blitter,
this was what, a year or so after the 2Mb and 4Mb models launched? It's
possible they bundled a cheaper keyboard with that model, or maybe by this
time quailty had suffered in the mad scramble to stay afloat...?

All I can say for sure, is that my keyboard was of the horrible "spongy"
type. :-(

  TTFN - Pete.