68k Mac development environments

Josh Dersch derschjo at msu.edu
Tue Sep 4 21:36:41 CDT 2007

Hi all --

I'm looking to do a bit of (simple) development targeting a 68k Mac (or
two, or three, or six...) and since I've never done any programming on a
Mac before I'm curious if anyone out there has any recommendations for a
development environment to use or to avoid.  I'd prefer C/C++, but I'm
flexible :).  I'd like to be able to run my code on a Mac Classic/SE (so
I need to be able to compile to 68000 code) but I'll be doing the
development itself on a IIfx.

In case you're interested, I'm writing the software to build a clock of
sorts out of a set of six "classic" form factor Macs I have lying around
(two Classics, two SEs and two SE/30s).  Each computer will display one
digit of the time, and will be synchronized over an Appletalk network to
keep the system times in sync.  Or so goes the theory.  Figure it'll be
a fun display to have set up, and a somewhat interesting use for some
otherwise-idle Macintosh hardware :).

Thanks for any suggestions...
- Josh