Ancient 8086/80286 unixes?

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Wed Sep 5 19:00:06 CDT 2007

On 5 Sep 2007 at 16:33, Chris M wrote:

>>  We could be getting our lines crossed here. Typically
> these things are called "coprocessors". I defy that
> designation. Granted there could be some offloading of
> instructions (sort of kind of like what happens w/an
> onboard 8087), but regardless, the objective is to
> replace the 8088. I had been wondering if there were
> boards for a pc that supplemented the operation of the
> onboard mpu by providing another processor
> altoghether, and in no way replacing the old 8088,
> thereby in effect giving you 2 pc's in one. Of course
> there were z80 boards, 68k? boards that accomplished
> this.

The Intel Inboard 286 or 386 PC/XT?  IIRC, the 8088 booted, then
turned over the bus to the 286 or 386.  I don't know if there were
any applications that switched between the two, but I don't doubt
that one could devise an application such that one or the other would
be running.

I do recall the "This will not run on an Inboard 286!" notices,
however.

Cheers,
Chuck