8-bitters and multi-whatever

Roy J. Tellason rtellason at verizon.net
Mon Sep 10 15:12:00 CDT 2007

On Sunday 09 September 2007 23:23, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On Sep 7, 2007, at 11:49 PM, Roy J. Tellason wrote:
> > Unfortunately instead of RS232 Televideo has something else going
> > there (RS422?),  not easy to interface too,  and they distribute their
> > "network" out amongst what other Televideo boxes you have,  which in my
> > case is none.I guess with an S-100-based system you could always add more
> > cards,  and somehow or other make it work.
>
>    They were RS422 if memory serves.

Probably.  I never could keep those straight.  I remember reading up on it at
the time and that it was some kind of differential-current interface,  and I
might even have the datasheets for the chips they used,  though heaven only
knows where I'd get one if I needed one (probably ask on this list :-).

>    I worked at a computer store when I was in high school, from 1984 to
> 1986...we used one of those > Televideo distributed CP/M-ish systems (810?)
> there, for store operations/POS/inventory stuff.  It worked very well and
> was reliable, but it wasn't very fast.  Our POS and inventory system was
> written in CBASIC-80.  It was good stuff.

The difficulty I see is that if I were to ever want to try and use one of
those I'd have to find hardware that would talk to it.  Though I *did* get a
hold of an ISA card with a boot rom that wanted to talk to that.  I haven't
the assembly skills to do a dump of it and see what it's trying for,  but
apparently it wants to load some file from the other end and of course isn't
finding it.

I guess if I'm ever gonna do anything with that box I'm gonna have to find
some more TeleVideo hardware.

Got a 40M _eight inch_ HD in it,  along with a tape drive,  I forget what kind
but the book tells me that it stores a whopping 14MB.  :-)  The HD is
belt-driven,  and that slipping was I think one of the difficulties I was
having the last time I tried to boot the machine.  Don Maslin (sp?) sent me
another belt,  but I never got around to putting it in there.

Too bad those aren't rs232 ports,  that box could be useful for some things
even if I never went anywhere near the original application.

-
M Dakin