Ancient 8086/80286 unixes?

Jules Richardson julesrichardsonuk at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Sep 10 18:22:31 CDT 2007

Ensor wrote:
[System 68]
> IIRC circuit diagrams and PCB layouts were provided, along with a full
> listing of the system monitor program.

That latter's the important bit; there are just too many computing-related
projects in magazines of old for which the software / firmware had to be sent
away for - and of course whilst the magazines (and hence schematics) survive,
the code which they ran has typically long since gone :-(

> You could even buy ready made
> PCBs (and kits of parts?) from a little company called "Newbury
> Data"

Hmm, that name rings a bell for some reason.

> Not sure whether ETI published the PCB layout for the "Triton" (I'm
> pretty sure they didn't, it was a fairly large, through hole plated
> PCB), but they sure publisged the schematics and monitor listings.

I'll have a look if I remember; I think we've got a pretty comprehensive set
of ETIs from around that period.