Wang 300 Calc

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Mon Sep 10 20:46:01 CDT 2007

On 11 Sep 2007 at 2:02, Liam Proven wrote:

> It is much simpler for everyone concerned /all over the world/ if you
> just match the symbol on the end of the cable with the one on the
> socket on the back of the computer.

Symbols and labels on connectors on consumer devices have always
smelled like a hack to me.  It would seem that the optimal solution
is to design the connectors so that it's IMPOSSIBLE to mate them up
improperly.  Why have a mouse that can plug into the same mini-DIN
connector into which a keyboard can plug?  Why not devise each
connector with a uniquely-shaped and sized receptacle and plug (a
simple receptacle collar and molded cable head would do) so that
installation becomes a matter of plugging the triangular shaped plug
into the like-shaped receptacle?  I've never heard of anyone trying
to plug an RJ-45 network connector into a DB-25 printer socket.

For an extreme example of the wrong-headedness of thoughtless design,
consider the lowly "wall wart" power supply.  As an exercise, take
all of the warts from all of the devices in your house and place them
in a pile in the middle of a room.  Draw the curtains and turn off
the lights and try to match warts up with devices without toasting
any.

How the seeing-impaired manage in this world is beyond comprehension.

Cheers,
Chuck