Wang 300 Calc

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Mon Sep 10 21:07:03 CDT 2007

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007, Liam Proven wrote:
> I never can tell with you, Tony, whether you faking it and taking the
> mick, being deliberately obtuse to make some kind of point, or
> genuinely think in a very strange way.
> The point, as I have already spelled out abundantly clearly, is that
> someone may be perfectly literate and fluent in multiple languages and
> completely unfamiliar with English or even the Roman script.
> People who do not speak, read or write English use computers too, you

Why can't they just open the box and look at the circuitry?
If it's got a UART, and maybe some 1488,1489 chips, then it is serial,
etc.
I don't know much of anything about electronics, but I can still usually
recognize what ports are for.

> It is much simpler for everyone concerned /all over the world/ if you
> just match the symbol on the end of the cable with the one on the
> socket on the back of the computer.
> Yes, the word is easier, *in a single country*. But the computer
> market is, and has been for many decades, an international one.

But, if a computer is made in a different country than the printer, then
the pictures will probably not match.
There is at least one documented case of a fatality from the frustration
of "RS232" printer interfacing.

> A machine called the Psion Death would not sell well, for obvious
> reasons. So, Psion skipped the entire number. Almost anyone doing
> business in China does the same.

That would be a nice item to have in a collection.

Grumpy Ol' Fred     		cisin at xenosoft.com