Wang 300 Calc

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 17:52:00 CDT 2007

On 11/09/2007, Fred Cisin <cisin at xenosoft.com> wrote:
> > > Why can't they just open the box and look at the circuitry?
> > > If it's got a UART, and maybe some 1488,1489 chips, then it is serial,
> > > etc.
>
> On Tue, 11 Sep 2007, Liam Proven wrote:
> > [Laughter]
> > Hang on... that *was* a joke, right?
>
> Perhaps an exaggeration, but even with my total lack of knowledge of
> electronics, how else can I identify the ports on an unknown machine?
> A few chips are fairly obvious, such as 6845, UARTs, etc.

Most people who use computers don't know what a "chip" is. If you are
capable of identifying an integrated circuit from its part number, you
are a veritable electronics guru compared to 5.9999999 billion people.

> A man bought a computer and a printer; took them to a computer store for
> interfacing; after six weeks without success, he shot and killed the owner
> of the store.  I had read about it in a newspaper.  When I mentioned it to
> Joe Campbell, he dug up an account (Infoworld?) of it to include in either
> his "RS232 Solution", or in "C Programmer's Guide to Serial Communication"
> I don't have convenient access in the next few weeks to my books, notes,
> etc. Sorry.

Remarkable. Not heard that one before.

OTOH, I have set up many a serial printer. RS232 was a complete pain
in the **** and I am very glad to see it die. Start bits, stop bits,
word length, parity, baud rate - hateful. Apple could do it right in
1984; there was no good reason for everyone else in the industry to
screw it up.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com
AOL/AIM/iChat: liamproven at aol.com • MSN/Messenger: lproven at hotmail.com
Yahoo: liamproven at yahoo.co.uk • Skype: liamproven • ICQ: 73187508