8-bitters and multi-whatever

Jules Richardson julesrichardsonuk at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Sep 13 07:43:42 CDT 2007

Chuck Guzis wrote:
> On 13 Sep 2007 at 0:41, Geoff Reed wrote:
>
>> IIRC the trs-80 model III and IV could network (saw it in use in a
>> classroom) via cassette port (hazy memory here) the network III device IIRc,
>> where it hooked to a main computer that had a HD, and let you load and save
>> programs on diskless III'S and IV's
>
> I'm getting a little confused about the definition of "networking".
> What I've been interpreting as is making another computer's files and
> or drives or other resources appear (seamlessly) as part of the
> current host's resources.
>
> Just using a link to me doesn't imply "networking"--it's file
> transfer, perhaps, but not networking.

I suppose I've always seen it as "electronically connected computers" or
somesuch - i.e. it doesn't imply anything about what data is shared (or how),
just that something *can* be transferred without sneakernetting information
around.

> And I'd also disqualify device-sharing, such as a MAC (multiple
> access controller) between an I/O device and two computers.

So would I, just because I think that networking is about connecting computers
together, not computers to peripherals (but I realise it gets a bit fuzzy when
you have things like printers with Ethernet interfaces)