Catweasel Mk1-3 not suitable for archiving - why?

Philip Pemberton classiccmp at philpem.me.uk
Sun Sep 16 14:26:02 CDT 2007

Zane H. Healy wrote:
> I've no idea who these people are, but I find it interesting that they
> insist that PC 1.44MB floppies be read on a "GENUINE Amiga high density
> disk drive".  In looking it appears that they are using their own
> software, "IPF" (Interchangeable Preservation Format), which likely is
> the real reason behind these edicts.

Basically, they have their own software that reads the discs and produces a
raw image. Then you send them the image and they send the IPF back.

The lack of a formal format specification for IPF means I'm not going to be
implementing support for it in the FD Reader software. It doesn't look like
there are many (any?) standard, open formats for raw disc archiving. DMK is a
raw track dump (including sector headers), but AFAICT doesn't have any
features to represent MFM 'weirdness', e.g. missing clocks and speed-shifting
(which seems to be a feature of quite a few copy protection schemes).

--
Phil.                         |  (\_/)  This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny
classiccmp at philpem.me.uk      | (='.'=) into your signature to help him gain