Catweasel Mk1-3 not suitable for archiving - why?

Philip Pemberton classiccmp at philpem.me.uk
Sun Sep 16 14:33:45 CDT 2007

Jim Battle wrote:
> Prior to the Mk IV design, writing to hard sectored formats was not
> really possible (unless you count writing a track blindly with semi
> arbitrary rotational phase, then attempting to read it back and starting
> over if it didn't work counts as possible).  Mk IV has added some
> mechanisms for having the hardware wait until index/sector marks are
> seen before initiating a write.

I'm not quite sure how this would apply to the Amiga though - that uses a
softsector MFM format.

Looks like I'll mark this up as an unsourced statement - I can't find anyone
other than SPS calling the Catweasel unsuitable for archiving, nor can I find
any reason why it's so important to use an Amiga drive and controller (except
maybe the old scientific rule of 'keep variables to a minimum').

Just that if there was a problem, I'd like to at least try and find a
workaround before I commit my design to copper-and-fibreglass. I can always
change the microcode and firmware later, but I'd rather get it as close to
perfect on the first pass as possible...

Thanks,
--
Phil.                         |  (\_/)  This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny
classiccmp at philpem.me.uk      | (='.'=) into your signature to help him gain