Cromemco & Persci drives (was PS/2 interface &c)

Roy J. Tellason rtellason at verizon.net
Tue Sep 18 21:56:31 CDT 2007

On Monday 17 September 2007 23:54, M H Stein wrote:
> [...]

I do seem to remember something about the access time (?) on that drive being
pretty quick...

> You probably know, but the controller can use both 5 1/4 and 8" drives;

Yup.

> it's sometimes convenient to hook up a known good 5 1/4 drive to check out
> the rest of the system and get it up & running before you dig into the 8".
> Also makes it easier to make disks from PC images if you need them.

It's been a really long time since I played with it,  but I remember the rest
of the system working okay,  more or less.  There's a CPU board and a 64K RAM
board in there,  besides the FDC (which if I'm remembering right also has the
printer port on it).  Does 16FDC sound right?

> If there's no HD you might have trouble finding 12V though & need a
> separate supply or regulator; an external powered 5 1/4 disk in a nice
> enclosure is a useful peripheral for a System3.

I suppose I could rig one up,  but I don't know about hacking together a BIOS
for that machine.  I never did get into that stuff all that much.

-
M Dakin