Unknown S100 system

Roy J. Tellason rtellason at verizon.net
Fri Sep 21 15:29:36 CDT 2007

On Friday 21 September 2007 15:06, Jules Richardson wrote:
> Roger Merchberger wrote:
> > Here's a not-so-great picture of the mobo for one:
> >
> > http://retrotechnology.com/herbs_stuff/z100bdx.jpg
>
> Yep, that's the one - thanks :-) Seems like it might be an interesting
> beast, anyway...
>
> cheers
>
> Jules

Around the time that the Z100 and Z150,  151,  etc. machines were out,  I was
a ZDS service center.  I think there were a couple of different versions of
their peecee compatible involving differerent degrees of integration,  3 vs.
4 boards in the system or something like that.  Anyhow,  *somewhere* I have
pretty complete docs on that stuff,  along with what monitors and printers
and such were out at that point in time.

We didn't keep that up though.  I'd gone for my initial training to Philly,  a
few hours drive for me,  and a one-night stay in a motel for a two-day
seminar that covered _all_ of that stuff.  Later on Zenith decided that they
were going to do away with handling things through the distribution chain and
was gonna centralize everything,  and get more bureaucratic while they were
at it -- I'd need to submit a "batch ticket" along with a *single* warranty
claim.  But the real deal-killer for me was the requirement that I'd have to
make _four_ separate trips (by air,  too far to drive) to Chicago,  and spend
a total of _three weeks_ (not continuously,  unfortunately) attending these
seminars,  and was expected to _pay_ for them -- a total of a couple of
thousand all total,  which was way more than what we were making in the
servicing of this stuff,  even though I was handling military installations
of it and such.

Anyhow,  I still have all those docs,  if anybody needs some,  though I expect
that it'd take me quite a while to dig them out...

-
M Dakin