decent used laptops

Philip Pemberton classiccmp at philpem.me.uk
Wed Sep 26 00:39:21 CDT 2007

Ethan Dicks wrote:
> 3 months of fighting with a T42 and RedHat Enterprise WS 4 makes me
> want to never touch a Thinkpad again - a thoroughly painful experience
> (and that from someone who got Solaris 7 working perfectly on a P-133
> Dell laptop).

That's odd. I installed Fedora 7 on my T42, and it 'just worked'. All the
hardware, from the display to the modem and wireless LAN adapter works
perfectly. It's the first laptop I've had that didn't need a special utility
to change the power management mode - KPowerSave can do it itself. Very neat.
It didn't work completely out of the box, but once I'd set up yum-priorities,
the Livna and FreshRPMS repositories, SLModem and MadWiFi, 95% of the hardware
worked fine. An hour or so of tweaking and *everything* worked.

FWIW, mine's a Type 2373-Q91 -- Atheros AR5212 wireless card, 14.1" 1024x768
LCD, Radeon 7500 graphics (old enough to work with the 'radeon' driver and not
require the abomination that is fglrx), 1.8GHz Pentium-M. Pretty standard
laptop, really...

Maybe RHEL4 is just a little too old for the T42?

--
Phil.                         |  (\_/)  This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny
classiccmp at philpem.me.uk      | (='.'=) into your signature to help him gain