pdp 11 boot rom 23-E39A9

Sat Sep 29 22:38:27 CDT 2007

> Funny that the boot prom had to do such strange things to interface
> to the 'most intelligent' controller (MSCP), whereas all the other
> dumb controllers (RK05, etc) used really simple boot code sequences.

My guess would be that the smarter controller also demanded more smarts
from the host-side software.  (I've seen (specs for) Ethernet
interfaces, for example, that simply can't work without not only DMA
but a real ring of receive buffers - not a big deal for a real kernel,
but a pain for standalone code like booters, and quite possibly fatal
for severely-size-limited standalone code.)

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       mouse at rodents.montreal.qc.ca