Epson QX-10 Emulator

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Sun Sep 30 15:51:03 CDT 2007

On 30 Sep 2007 at 18:47, Tony Duell wrote:

> Ah, I was momentarily forgetting Valdocs. My QX10 came with CP/M and
> that's all I've ever run on it. I find it's a pretty nice CP/M box,
> actually....

Having cut my teeth on CP/M 1.30, I'm surprised that it lasted as
long as it did.  Consider that it couldn't organize large volumes
well and couldn't even track the length of a file to anything closer
than 128 bytes.

It WAS fairly small, but even that went away with CP/M 3.0/CP/M Plus.

Something like the QX-10's Valdocs/TP/M interests me, particularly
the Forth implementation and the supplemental facilities, such as the
indexer.

I'm writing an archiver to convert my QX-10 diskettes to the .D88
format that the emulator needs.  While perusing information on the
.D88 file format, I discovered an entire new world of Japanese NEC
9801 enthusiasts, complete with emulators and an operating system
called GR-DOS.  From what I can gather, the 9801 was very popular
with Japanese gamers.

> Ah well... I'm a hardware guy to the core (literally :-)). Microcode is
> OK, machine code is getting far too close to 'software' for my liking.

You must LOVE PPGAs then... :)

Cheers,
Chuck