Dilog DQ132 question [now 9-track repair]

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Apr 3 22:11:29 CDT 2008

On Apr 3, 2008, at 1:14 PM, John Foust wrote:
>>  It seems that all of my 9-track drives are nonfunctional now.  At
>> least two of them worked when put into storage; I'm very displeased.
>> I've given up on them for the moment and am going to try to get a
>> TK50 or TK70 working in the system.
>
> I mentioned this place back on 5/06, but I'll ask again.
> Where do you get repairs on old 9-tracks?
>
> Back then I'd bought an M4 9914, an Overland Data 5622, and an HP
> 88780
> in the hopes that one would work but none did.
>
> After a few months of trying, I eventually exchanged emails and
> a phone call with http://www.comco-inc.com/ in the hope of getting
> one of them fixed.  I never bit the bullet on shipping and
> repair costs, though.

   Where to get repairs?  I have tools, test equipment, and a service
manual for my HP 88780... ;)

   The 88780 is a fairly modern device as 9-track drives go.  It has
extensive onboard diagnostic capability.  Do you have the docs to be
able to go through the test procedures?  That should narrow things
down quite a bit for that tape drive at least.  I'll be doing that
soon myself.

           -Dave

--
Dave McGuire