The Unix Haters' Handbook

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Tue Apr 8 01:14:57 CDT 2008

> Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2008 14:04:01 -0400
> From: Sridhar Ayengar

> That's bull.  There are ways to make grep output something like "No
> matches" without breaking a pipeline that uses it.  I suggest that
> perhaps those who say "They're the kind of thing people who don't use or
> understand pipes will say." are the ones who truly don't understand pipes.

If anything, my issue with the evolution of *nix is that the original
philosophy of "write a bunch of simple tools and hook 'em together
via pipes" seems to have been deprecated in the almost 30 years since
I began using Unix.   There seems to be a trend of proliferating
options.

Quick, who can recite from memory all of the switches and their
meanings for GNU tar?  I can't.  Who can understand the tar man
pages? Who knows it to be accurate for the particular incarnation of
tar that they're using?

Cheers,
Chuck