The Unix Haters' Handbook

Tue Apr 8 01:20:24 CDT 2008

> Quick, who can recite from memory all of the switches and their
> meanings for GNU tar?  I can't.

Neither can I, but then, I don't use GNU tar if I can help it.

> Who can understand the tar man pages?  Who knows it to be accurate
> for the particular incarnation of tar that they're using?

I do.  But then, I wrote both the tar implementation I use and its
manpage, so perhaps that's cheating. :)  (Actually, the manpage is
somewhat out of date; I doubt I've updated it since the last round of
changes to the code....)

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       mouse at rodents.montreal.qc.ca