Polymorphic System88 disk

Eric Smith eric at brouhaha.com
Tue Apr 8 13:54:36 CDT 2008

Chuck wrote:
> It's hard to say which is the most fun--diskettes discovered to be
> GCR where you have no idea of what the group size is, nor what the
> groups correspond to.  Or diskettes written on something like a
> typewriter where the code's not ASCII, nor does A immediately precede
> B--and you have nothing that says "this is a printout of what's on
> the diskette".
>
> Hint:  You start with a statistical analysis of the pulse stream and
> go from there.
>
> For me, it's a lot of fun, ferreting out things by bits and pieces
> until the big picture emerges.

If it was a system that I had some significant personal interest in,
I suppose I'd be willing to do things like that as a spare time
endeavor.  I've been involved in reverse-engineering projects of
comparable complexity.

If someone wanted to engage my services to do that on a contract basis,
for something that doesn't hold any personal interest for me, they had
better be prepared to pay a LOT of money.

Eric