Safety precautions. Was: Help with ICL power supply faul

Roger Holmes roger.holmes at microspot.co.uk
Fri Apr 11 13:35:22 CDT 2008

On 11 Apr, 2008, at 18:00, cctalk-request at classiccmp.org wrote:

> Message: 12
> Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 09:31:49 -0700
> From: "Chuck Guzis" <cclist at sydex.com>
>
> Those with big iron with high-current line-side requirements are
> advised to use the "one hand in a rear pocket" technique when poking
> around in a PSU.

Good idea, thanks for that.

Last time I poked around in one of my 1301's PSUs it was seven feet
up in the air and I jiggled the stabiliser rack and the -22.6v,
quarter inch bus bar touched the frame, showering me with sparks and
burning a notch into the angle iron frame :-) Its not just AC that's
dangerous on big iron. Over the years I've been bitten many times by
240v and no ill effects but I get very careful when near the three
phase 440v supply, or near car H.T. leads or any thermionic valves,
especially CRTs.

Roger Holmes.