The Unix Haters' Handbook

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Tue Apr 15 13:50:09 CDT 2008

On Tuesday 15 April 2008, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On Apr 15, 2008, at 12:07 PM, woodelf wrote:
> > Lets talk about non-broken tools so that we can run the old
> > machines properly
> > like a terminal emulator that works like a real terminal?
> > Linux to my knowlage has none.
>
>    Sheer madness.  I use kermit in an xterm window all the
> time...works great..
>
>    I always use a real terminal when one is available, though.

Am I the only one who can't stand not being able to have a log of output
that I can scroll back through, and not being able to cut and paste
text from the terminal window?

Those are the two main reasons I normally rather use a laptop or
$macine_with_windowing_environment than a real serial terminal.  (This
doesn't mean I don't have and don't use serial terminals, just that a
real serial terminal is rarely my first choice for something that I
want to be functional, instead of just "neat" and "pretty". :)

Pat