A good real terminal

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at usap.gov
Thu Apr 17 18:58:42 CDT 2008

On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 10:33:14PM +0100, Tony Duell wrote:
> > I think I had to resort to heating one side of the board and sucking the
> > solder from the other side - much easier with the board in a vise.
>
> Isn't that how you're supposed to do it? It's certainly how I clean out
> PCB holes if I need to add extra chips to a wave-soldered board.

For non-difficult vias, I typically apply heat and suction from the
same side - less juggling.  I am accustomed to good results with this
technique (and can commonly recover intact parts from intact boards,
if that's the goal, like the time I extracted an IM6120 from a DecMate III
board - I wanted _both_ to survive so I could mount a socket and replace
the CPU later).

I find I only have to do the double-sided technique with tiny vias or
vias that are tied to inner fill layers (Vcc and GND, typically).

-ethan

--
Ethan Dicks, A-333-S     Current South Pole Weather at 17-Apr-2008 at 23:50 Z
South Pole Station

Ethan.Dicks at usap.gov            http://penguincentral.com/penguincentral.html