VAXstation 3100 and DecWindows

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Mon Apr 21 15:38:40 CDT 2008

On Apr 20, 2008, at 2:32 PM, Rod Smallwood wrote:
> 2.	If you run the IVP and enter the node name or WSA0 (the device
> name)
>       it simply says "cannot open display"
>
> 3.    I am exactly where I was on Friday.
>
> 4.	Until I find out what "Cannot open display" means I'm stuck

   That sounds suspiciously like what X libraries say when
they...well, can't open the display. ;)  In a UNIX-ish OS, here's
what happens when one starts an X app when the DISPLAY environment
variable isn't set, and a display isn't specified on the command line:

g5$ unset DISPLAY
g5$ xterm
xterm Xt error: Can't open display:
g5$