IBM 5150 maximum memory?

Roy J. Tellason rtellason at verizon.net
Thu Apr 24 14:26:02 CDT 2008

On Thursday 24 April 2008 14:45, Jules Richardson wrote:
> But yes, fair point about the expansion boards. I expect it was unusual to
> see a 5150 without floppy drives, and I don't think the things would even
> boot without a display adapter (something that's plagued server PCs ever
> since!)

Heh.  I have one machine (the firewall/router) that's built around a 486 board
that although it does indeed have a monitor attached it's almost never turned
on.  I can see the utility of some boxes here that wouldn't even have a
monitor attached at all,  too.

(Snip)
> > The company I worked for at the time bought a PC on the day of release
> > (August 12, 1981), specifically to develop third-party peripherals and
> > software.  The company was one of the first to market with a "combo
> > card", but was never as successful with it as AST, Quadram, etc.
>
> I wonder how many such vendors there were? Every (IBM) PC I've ever looked
> in seems to have a different multi-function board from a different vendor
> in :) (and of course the documentation on how to set it up is long gone)

I have actually a bunch of those old boards around _and_ docs for them,  if
somebody needs some help with that,  either in terms of taknig some of that
old hardware off my hands or getting something working.  OTOH I remember well
repeatedly rebooding some clone or other while trying one jumper or switch
setting at a time and then running some diagnostic program to try and figure
things out.  :-)

-
M Dakin