tape drives (IBM SSA, IBM England -> Xyratex)

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Wed Apr 30 17:19:40 CDT 2008

On Wednesday 30 April 2008, der Mouse wrote:
> > Umm, what?  Unless you're in the twilight zone, FC is everywhere.
> > I've not seen a datacenter *without* tons of FC for many years,
>
> I work for an ISP.  Our machine room is not huge, but not tiny either
> (it's pulling some 20 kW)

Heh.

Our main machine room(s) (two, with doors interconnecting them) draw
about 1.1MW of power, which doesn't account for the power used to chill
the water to the CRAC units.

We just set up cluster in a small machine room that only holds about 12
racks, and is using up about 60kW. :)

We do have some FC on our big storage devices (a tape library that has a
few thousand slots, and our couple of BlueArc Titan NAS boxes), but
that's about it.

If you're not really careful with FC, or using a very small, completely
homogenous (including firmware version) setup, it's really easy to have
big problems that affect everything on the SAN.  The administrative
group on campus recently had some problems with their EMC-based SAN,
which resulted in various machines overwriting filesystems/LUNs
belonging to other machines.  From what I heard, the root cause was the
fact that they had different firmware versions on some of their EMC FC
switches.  (Or, perhaps, because they're using EMC gear...)

Pat