segmented memory models

der Mouse mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG
Mon Aug 4 22:20:04 CDT 2008

> [nil pointer deref story]
> It took me a bit of time to convince the guys that both
> implementations were valid and that it wasn't a "Solaris bug".

I ran into a related issue recently.  A moderately popular open source
project uses nonportable constructs involving varargs function calls,
passing NULL, uncast, as a varargs argument and expecting it to be a
nil pointer when fetched in the called function.  Between a lack of
implementations to point to where it'll fail and some very creative
reading of the standard on the part of the "other side", I was unable
to convince them this was invalid code....

Grrr.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse at rodents-montreal.org