question aaout ISP's

James Fogg James at jdfogg.com
Wed Aug 6 11:34:52 CDT 2008

> I'm based in Philadelphia.  My current provided is disabling
> telnet capability at the beginning of September.  I would like
> to know if anyone knows of a service that will permit me that
> capability?
> bs

Don't use standard ports. My provider (Comcast) blocks port 25 (mail)
inbound and outbound, and doesn't allow relaying through its mail
servers. Instead I use port 2525 and an external mail relay service.

With telnet, you won't need a relay service if anyone accessing your
system knows that it's on a non-standard port.

Do you really need telnet though? SSH preferable if your host can run
it.