BASIC-Plus decompiler

Rich Alderson RichA at vulcan.com
Wed Aug 6 14:58:00 CDT 2008

From: Paul Koning
Sent: Wednesday, August 06, 2008 12:02 PM

[ snip ]

> "BASIC-PLUS" and "BASIC-PLUS-2" are very different beasts.  (I haven't
> seen BASIC-PLUS-1 before, that wasn't a normal designation but the
> meaning is obvious.)

> BP was a P-code ("push-pop code") incremental compiler.  It runs only
> on RSTS.

> BP2 was a regular compiler; it would produce object files which you'd
> feed to TKB to get your RSX-format executables.  It ran on RSTS, RSX,
> and VMS.

It also ran on TOPS-20 (though I swear that I thought the name there was
BASIC-PLUS-4, nothing I've seen since 1984 backs me up on that).  There,
it was a replacement for the second Tops-10 BASIC; the first was not
portable to the newer OS.

(NB:  The first Tops-10 BASIC was the one learned by Messrs. Allen and
Gates, of course.)

Thanks,
Rich