If there's anyone in West Yorkshire with a working BBC Master

John Honniball coredump at gifford.co.uk
Wed Aug 6 16:02:57 CDT 2008

Tony Duell wrote:
> That sounds right. Assumeing all this works, it's very liekly the battery
> has gone flat. AFAIK it's 3 AA-size primary cells (non-rechargeable) in
> series. Officieally you were supposed to replace the whole assembly with
> the Acorn spare, but I have no idea why (other than Acorn could then sell
> you a spare). I just repalce the cells and have had no problems.

I have done exactly that, just replace the three AA cells.  I took
some photos, too.  The battery pack:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/anachrocomputer/2671356074

and the location of it in the machine:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/anachrocomputer/2670534379

Really early Masters had a lithium battery right up next to
the keyboard and speaker, but these tended to catch fire!
Most machines were changed to use the three AA cell pack.

--
John Honniball
coredump at gifford.co.uk