IBM Model M keyboard spares

M H Stein dm561 at torfree.net
Wed Aug 6 18:05:58 CDT 2008

-----------Original Message(s):

Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2008 15:10:55 -0400
From: Sridhar Ayengar <ploopster at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: IBM Model M keyboard spares
To: General Discussion: On-Topic and Off-Topic Posts
	<cctalk at classiccmp.org>

Liam Proven wrote:
> /The/ classic PC keyboard, IMHO.

The Model M came out *waay* after the PC.  The 84-key is the one for the
PC.  I don't think the Model M is even compatible with the PC.

Peace...  Sridhar

------------Reply:

People reverently talk about the Model M as though there was only one;
in fact there were probably almost 50 different versions, including at least
one for the late model XT (no indicator lights) and I *think* that at least one
version was dual-mode as well.

See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model_M_Keyboard

To the OP:

I have a few different ones in the scrap pile somewhere, if you can send me
a picture of yours; does it have the removable keycaps?

I understand that replacing the spacebar on one of the older Model Ms
is a bit of a challenge BTW.