IBM Model M keyboard spares

Michael B. Brutman mbbrutman-cctalk at brutman.com
Wed Aug 6 22:51:10 CDT 2008

Chuck Guzis wrote:
> On 6 Aug 2008 at 15:10, Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
>
>> The Model M came out *waay* after the PC.  The 84-key is the one for the
>> PC.  I don't think the Model M is even compatible with the PC.
>
> PC AT 5170, yes--PC 5150, no--I tried it.  Different protocol.
>
> Cheers,
> Chuck

Not necessarily true.

I have several versions of the Model M here that will work on a 5170 or
5150/5160.  From my experiments it looks as though many of the Model Ms
built until the early 90s could auto-switch between the two protocols.

Don't tell the 5160 I have at work that it has a Model M on it.  (And
it's not the funny Model M without the indicator lights.  That one
without the indicator lights (1390120) was specifically made for the XT.)

Mike