question aaout ISP's

Gene Buckle geneb at deltasoft.com
Thu Aug 7 11:48:34 CDT 2008

>> 300 baud was great for reading messages
>
> I don't know - I didn't mind 2400 for that as it was "instant enough" for
> email-sized message download (it just annoyed me for other uses), but I
> suspect that I'd find 300 "too slow".

Spend some time on a Citadel.  It was actually ok.  1200 is readable but
you need to pay really close attention. :)

>> , but it sucked hard when doing a full-disk transfer (Punter!) on a C-64.
>
> Gah, I bet! I've done hard disk transfers at 9600 in recent times, and that
> was slow enough.

The 1541 disks were 170k or so and took *forever* it seemed. :)

>>  The sad thing is that the net
>> has degraded into such a spam fest that real boards are starting to look
>> pretty attractive again.
>
> I keep thinking about that. It's not only the spam, but the threats from ISPs
> to start watching what we do, the users who don't know how to protect their
> machines properly, or the people who over-stress the system at the expense of
> everyone else. It's a far cry from what it used to be!

A ton of effort has gone into using old bbs programs and platforms on the
'net.  There are a number of tools like this:
http://home.ica.net/~leifb/bbs/ which is used to put real C-64's up on the
net running a bbs.  There are other programs out there that do similar
things, including fancy device drivers that look like a modem & comm port
to windows, but there's a socket on the other end instead of a modem.

Many of the older bbs programs that have source available were done using
Turbo Pascal and those are easily recompiled under Linux using FPC.  I've
actually built a port of Telegard 2.7 that runs perfectly under Linux.

The only thing that is missing form most of these "glue" solutions is
encryption.  It wouldn't be too hard to build a version that used SSH
instead of regular telnet...

g.

--
Proud owner of F-15C 80-0007