dial-up experiences (was Re: question aaout ISP's)

Roy J. Tellason rtellason at verizon.net
Fri Aug 8 20:25:35 CDT 2008

On Friday 08 August 2008 13:09, Chuck Guzis wrote:
> The Trailblazers at one point were *the* modem to have if you were
> doing UUCP-type transfers between systems.  Since it used a
> proprietary protocol, you had to go Telebit-to-Telebit.  I had
> friends at Telebit, and vaguely remember that they used multiple
> carrier frequencies, but not too much other than that.

I never knew much about those,  but they sure did look to be pretty nifty from
what I could see on the outside.  :-)

I know that one system that I called occasionally back when I was calling
bunches of them was in fact a box where a guy was running unix at home.  And
he eventually gave me a login on that box,  and tried to nudge me in the
direction of running it,  eventually.

At a later point in time I did end up doing UUCP-type transfers with his
system,  when I was running a fidonet-internet gateway of sorts.  Just email,
but it was nice to have,  excepting all those clueless folks that even then
were doing email in HTML...

-
M Dakin