HERO1 For sale...

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at usap.gov
Sun Aug 10 17:50:25 CDT 2008

On Sun, Aug 10, 2008 at 06:39:07PM -0400, Tony Mori wrote:

> [...]

Most likely.

> Of course, from what I've seen the past few years on eBay, I think he's
> missing a zero on the end of his price.

For one in good shape, sure.

> It seems they are as valuable today, as they were back then, if not more!
> You VERY RARELY see one go for
> under $500, and that is usually incomplete, non-working units that need
> parts and repair to function.

I would be happy to pay three times what the OP is asking for one that I
didn't have to rebuild (but a more likely scenario is paying three times
for one that I _would_ have to strip and rebuild).

The HERO1 is nice, but I'm happy to have an RB5X myself.  If I could only
figure out why the speech board is so wonky, I'd be happier, though.  For
some odd reason, it really, really cares what vendor/model/type of 8255
drives it.  The best results I've gotten so far is with an OKI 82C55.  I'm
told that a real 8255 (not 8255A) is the "best", but I don't have any on
hand (despite having about a dozen unique varieties) and the next plane
is still over 2 months away.

Is there anything that specifically distinguishes the HERO1 from other
"personal robots" of the 1980s era other than the Heathkit name?  I've
never seen one up close, so I don't know what makes it special.

-ethan

--
Ethan Dicks, A-333-S     Current South Pole Weather at 10-Aug-2008 at 22:40 Z
South Pole Station

Ethan.Dicks at usap.gov            http://penguincentral.com/penguincentral.html