Argo Electronics in NYC to close

Roy J. Tellason rtellason at verizon.net
Mon Aug 11 23:31:15 CDT 2008

On Tuesday 12 August 2008 00:11, schwepes at moog.netaxs.com wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Aug 2008, Roy J. Tellason wrote:
> > On Sunday 10 August 2008 11:16, schwepes at moog.netaxs.com wrote:
> > > Actually there is more significance than you give.  The last parts
> > > houses in the Philadelphia area closed down years ago.
> >
> > What place was that?
>
> I think Advanced Electronics.  It was out in Jersey down NJ73 if I
> remember correctly.  The one in Philadelphia near Oxford Circle did like
> Radio Shack and went to other product lines before it disappeared.
> I'd have to check if the guys who sold used computer equipment in Gray's
> Ferry are still around.  There was a guy in Germantown who sold old
> equipment, at least he did until his roof caved in.
> bs

It's been rather a long time since I took a trip to that area to look for
interesting junk.  There was Herbach & Rademan,  which I think are still
around only in NJ someplace,  and a place we stumbled into calling
itself "Chassey Electronics" which was just a big warehouse full of all sorts
of junk.  I remember barrels of what appeared to be keyboards from keypunch
machines (I wanted one that'd do ASCII but couldn't find one),  and I ended
up paying $4 for a *big* board that I ended up salvaging close to 400 TTL
chips from.

But that was probably close to 20 years ago,  or maybe more...

-
M Dakin