COBOL quote in the news

Paul Koning Paul_Koning at Dell.com
Tue Aug 12 10:44:21 CDT 2008

 Sridhar> Steve Robertson wrote:
 >>  I have a friend that is working for a company Web-enabling a
 >> COBOL application for the DOD. This is a mission critical
 >> application that consists of thousands of data input screens and
 >> literally millions of lines of code. It was determined that the
 >> only semi-reasonable method of porting the application would be to
 >> use an automated tool.

 Sridhar> I would've just written web primitives for COBOL, if they
 Sridhar> don't already exist.

That would be the right answer.  But if the customer insists on doing
it the wrong way, and that customer has an infinite budget because
it's our taxes paying for it, the result is programmers doing
wrongheaded work for several generations.

	     paul