IBM LPFK reverse engineering

Michael B. Brutman mbbrutman-cctalk at brutman.com
Wed Aug 20 23:16:44 CDT 2008

Philip Pemberton wrote:

> It's nice to finally see the LPFK light up :)

Yes, yes indeed ...

> It's probably worth noting that the LPFK doesn't auto-repeat, nor does
> it send a separate key-up/key-down scan code. Depending on your POV,
> this is either a good thing or a bad thing :)

I like the simplicity of it.  Press a button, get a byte.  No need to
worry about key combinations and other silliness that makes decoding the
PC keyboard so fun.

>> All of this is also written up at
>> http://brutman.com/IBM_LPFK/IBM_LPFK.html for the good of the greater
>> public.
>
> Though in fairness the message you posted here is probably going to be
> more permanent :)

I was only going to post on the web site, but I knew that some elitist
snob here would get upset.  So I posted in both places.

(If your blood pressure is rising now, then you are an elitist snob.)

(It's also fun throwing bricks at people who are so easily stirred.)

:-)

Back On Topic ...

>> I have a blank overlay and a CADAM overlay that labels the keystrokes. I
>> will probably scan the blank shortly so that people can download and make
>> their own.
>
> I'll look forward to that. I'm trying to think of a serious use for the
> LPFK but I'd still like to see what the keypad overlays look like.

I scanned the overlay, cleaned it up and posted it.  Enjoy!

> Interestingly enough, I did a quick search on CADAM and found this --
> <http://www.cadam.com/ccd_products_keypad.htm>. It seems to be a mini
> version of the LPFK without the blinkenlites.

Ugh, look at the price!  Kind of expensive for an alternate keyboard
with custom scan codes.

Mike