Schematics of Atanasoff-Berry Computer logic circuits?

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Fri Aug 22 00:15:56 CDT 2008

On 21 Aug 2008 at 23:48, William Donzelli wrote:

> Yes, and they sucked anyway.

1N21s could be pretty touchy mechanically and not at all uniform.  As
a "microwave diode", I don't think they would have even been
considered for digital logic.

They weren't the first packaged solid-state diode.  Copper-oxide
rectifiers were around since the 1920's, but have lousy reverse-
voltage ratings (are they still used in the Simpson 260 VOM?).
Selenium rectifiers were around a short time before the war, but not
popular till afterward (I can still recall the smell of a failing
one).

Cheers,
Chuck