70's view of Army Radar Installation (with computer gear)

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Tue Dec 2 12:58:25 CST 2008

On 2 Dec 2008 at 10:14, Curt @ Atari Museum wrote:

> Isn't the PAR still in active use?   I assume the MSR's are all
> deactivated due to the ABM treaties and the fact that the Sprint/Nike
> systems have been superseded by the Patriot and newer missile defense
> systems.

There's a note on the page that correctly points out that (at least
two) of the displays show a date of 08 Oct 1993.  That the US would
still have much of the equipment shown in the other photos still in
service at that late date is mind-boggling.  In 1993, where could one
even find parts for a 405 card reader?

I don't recognize the disk drives shown there with their militarized
skins.  Some sort of pack drive--the pack is too small to be an 844;
maybe an 854?

But everything shown that I can recognize is clearly early 70's
vintage.

If this stuff was simply mothballed, any equipment remaining and due
to be surplused would be a vintage collector's treasure trove.

Cheers,
Chuck