uIEC

Jim Brain brain at jbrain.com
Wed Dec 3 22:13:55 CST 2008

The unit has some "future" proofing built into it, since it can upgrade
itself.

When new functionality is developed, the owner simply copies the new
firmware to a CF (or SD) card and reboots the device.  The device
bootloader will scan for the new code, and program itself with the new
code if found.  All versions have the feature.  And, I spent a few extra
bucks and used a 128kB AVR on the unit.  Since the code is now 51K, I
have plenty of room for new functionality (D81 images, "mounting" images
under partition numbers, etc.).

Well, the SD version is soldered up, and I can talk to the CPU.  It
looks like it recognizes the SD card, so I just need to test the IEC
routines and tweak a few things.  I did realize I forgot to order 2.2uF
0805 caps for the unit, so I'll have to think of something for the 20
board I have on hand.  The size is not so critical, I do not think, as
it's just a smoothing cap for the LDO 3V3 regulator.  Maybe, I can cheat
and use 10uFs for the 20 units and get away with it...

Jim

--
Jim Brain, Brain Innovations                                      (X)
brain at jbrain.com
Dabbling in WWW, Embedded Systems, Old CBM computers, and Good Times!
Home: http://www.jbrain.com